Sunday, March 4, 2012

Adventures in the kitchen

Ok, so as you know I've gone/going to an "allergy free" diet that consists of no eggs, dairy, wheat, nuts, or soy.  It's hard.  If something is "dairy free" it has soy in it....and soy litichen is in EVERYTHING!  So there'll be very minimal eating out for me (which is good for the budget I guess) and when we do, I am sure it won't be cheap.....I can have steak and I sure do love Outback's ribeye =)  Anyways, a couple of days ago Tim and I were told about a huge helth food store from a worker at Trader Joe's.  (We've been looking for one every since we've been here.  something comparable to God's Green Acres would be nice.)  We don't have a Whole Foods either.  So, we fidn it on GPS and go and it's about 3x's the size of God's Green Acres.  YAY!  $50.00 later, we have several "ingredients" that I can use to cook and bake with at home.  We've been giving a few things a try and here are the results.

On the first attempt, I made allergy free pancakes from scratch.  (No big deal, I already make our pancakes from scratch, but with these, I just use different ingredients)  They were delicious! 

The recipe came from:  http://www.eatingwithfoodallergies.com/allergyfreepancakes.html



Next, I tried a recipe called creamy pasta.  The sauce is made up of avocado, olive oil, garlic, and a few other ingredients.  It's super fast and very yummy!  The only downfall is it's probably not too good heated back up being it's main ingredient being the avocado.
The recipe came from:  http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/



And now for the epic fail.....We got up this morning and what I really wanted was about 3 eggs, homeade biscuits, and bacon.....So I thought I could live without the eggs but I really wanted bacon and biscuits.  I had found a recipe for mixing up your own "mixture" for allergy free "all purpose flour" so I made some up and used the same recipe I use for homeade biscuits...flour, oil, and milk... so I used allergy free all purpose flour, oil, and rice milk.....Let's just say it looked and tasted like you went to the beach and caked up some sand, baked it, and ate it.  YUCK!  I went to the freezer and got out some pancakes I had frozen from the other morning and had pancakes once again with bacon!  I'd say1 fail out of 3 tries isn't too bad.........btw, I still want some eggs =/

Here is what I had wanted thought they might turn out like



This is what they actually turned out like.....


I guess I'll go back to the grocery store and buy the gluten free baking mix already mixed up....from what I could tell, it was just like bisquick.....

So there you so friends...my first few adventures into this new diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment